Submit a film
ShAFF IS ABOUT SHOWING THE BEST FILMS FROM AROUND THE WORLD.
We work incredibly hard at ShAFF to make sure that we have the best selection of adventure films we possibly can.
ShAFF is about showing the best adventure films, new and old, from around the world. They may be sport based, environment-focused, humourous, none of the above, all three or something entirely different, but they must show adventure. If you have a film that that meets any of these criteria we are very interested in hearing from you. ShAFF works best with 15 to 20 minute films. If you have a short / festival edit of your film we would be interested in this. However we screen films of all lengths.
DEADLINE - 1ST NOVEMBER (EVERY YEAR)
SUBMISSION COSTS - SUBMITTING YOUR FILM TO SHAFF IS FREE. WE VERY MUCH APPRECIATE THE SUPPORT OF FILMMAKERS AND DON’T THINK THAT CHARGING YOU FOR THE PRIVILEGE OF SUBMITTING YOUR FILM IS THE RIGHT THING TO DO. IT'S AN AWFUL LOT OF WORK ADMINISTERING AND WATCHING OVER 300 FILMS, AND THEN CURATING A PROGRAMME OF AROUND ONE HUNDRED OF THE BEST OF THEM AND UPLOADING DETAILS TO OUR WEBSITE, BUT WE KNOW THAT THIS IS WHAT MAKES SHAFF WHAT IT IS, AND DO IT WILLINGLY AND FREELY!
Payment / Awards - We have a panel of judges who view all films screened at ShAFF and declare winners and runners up in each of the following categories (note that categories may change):
- Best Film - All films are automatically eligible.
- Best Climbing Film - Climbing, mountaineering, bouldering, indoor climbing - all types of climbing
- Best Bike Film - Road, Mountain, Bike Packing, BMX - all types of biking
- Best Running Film - Running, racing, jogging, orienteering - all types of running
- Best Spirit Of Adventure Film - The essence of what ShAFF is about: stepping way outside of the usual comfort zones, being out there on a limb, totally committed.
- Best Artistic Film - To recognise cinematic creativity.
- Best Short Film - All films under 10 minutes long automatically considered
- Best Soundtrack - To recognise the best overall sound experience in a film.
- Best Adrenaline Film - Adrenaline is the most popular session at the festival so this is an award to recognise that.
- Best Women In Adventure Film - To recognise the best film made by or featuring women in a lead role.
- Best Film Made In Sheffield - To recognise the growing talent of The Outdoor City.
Either £100 or equivalent value in equipment will be awarded to the winning film in each category, with £200 to the Best Film winner.
There is also a Judges Special Prize
*The maximum length of the short film category varies from year to year depending on the films submitted, but is generally around 5 -10 minutes.
How And What To Submit
Please supply the film electronically (ideally at at least 1280 by 720).
Please upload files up to 5Gb in size to ShAFF's Dropbox. We can also accept films via Vimeo, WeTransfer, Hightail, or any other method which you may already use. If you have any questions you can email us.
Accepted formats: MOV (H264), Mp4, AVI. Unacceptable formats: MkV, ProRes. For other formats we suggest sending a small sample prior to the main file.
At least one high resolution JPG image of a scene in the film is supplied for free use in promoting the festival. All images must be labelled with film title, location and photographer credit and will be retained by ShAFF. Please keep individual file sizes under 6Mb. Email images to us clearly stating the name of the film in the email subject. We may also use screengrabs from the film.
We may use a clip from the film in the festival trailer and / or to promote the festival. Note that this trailer / promo will be used on-line and on air to promote the event. If you would prefer us not to do this please let us know.
If you send us your website address, Twitter account and Facebook Page address we will do our best to direct people to you, and where possible, watch or buy your film.
If you can supply us with a list of the music tracks, artists, and locations to purchase, we will list these on the festival website in an attempt to feed something back to the artists.
The closer you can follow our guidelines means that we will better be able to promote what you do!